fbpx

There are a lot of misconceptions and myths about disinfectants out there which are risking the health of people. A lot of bloggers, instagramers and self declared professionals are giving advise which is not backed by evidence:

Eucalyptus is safe
Eucalyptus Oil is highly toxic – even small ingestions of pure oil (≥ 5 ml) can lead to severe symptoms. (Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne)

Tea Tree is Safe:
Tea tree oil is known to be poisonous if swallowed. A child who swallowed a small amount given to him by mistake went into a coma (from which he recovered). (National Capital Poison Center, USA)

Hydrogen Peroxide is Safe:
Hydrogen peroxide can be poisonous if it is not used correctly (National Capital Poison Center, USA)

Hydrogen peroxide reacts with oxidizable materials, iron, copper, brass, bronze, chromium, zinc, lead, manganese, and silver. Contact with organic materials may result in spontaneous combustion. (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry, USA)

Hydrogen peroxide is corrosive to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes at high concentrations (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry, USA)

Hydrogen Peroxide is banned on all commercial aircraft (Emirates Airlines, UAE)

Vinegar is an alternative disinfectant:
Vinegar can be used as a safer bleach alternative for some applications, like cleaning. It is also biodegradable. However, vinegar is not a registered disinfectant and does not kill dangerous bacteria like staphylococcus.

Leave a Reply

X